what we do
Fashion Brain Academy is a business coaching and training company specializing in emerging fashion designers and creative types – designers of accessories, clothing, t-shirts, jewelry, childrenswear, and baby products, gift items and other product-based businesses.
Our primary focus is to jump-start new companies and boost existing ones by generating a solid sales and marketing plan while keeping you accountable and focused. We work with you to refine, align and strengthen the goals for your business through one-on-one private coaching, online workshops, bootcamps, and live seminars.
Fashion Brain was founded by Jane Hamill, a successful ex-designer and retailer who saw a growing need in this niche for information as well as specific step-by-step strategies to start and run a profitable fashion business without losing your shirt – or your mind.
I was 25 when I designed my first Jane Hamill line and opened my boutique. There was a lot I didn’t know about running a business, I mean a lot, like buckets. I learned the hard way – through trial and error, long hours, dedication, and a little luck.
It wasn’t an easy process but it did work! I ran both businesses (wholesaling my women’s line and the retail shop) for many years until I sold them in 2007 – 2 kids and 14 years later!
I would like to save designers some trouble.
I know what it’s like to have a good product and want to be THERE with it, not here in my living room hoping someone would notice it. If there’s one thing I learned over the course of running my business, it’s that I always made things harder than they needed to be. Learning things through trial and error can work, it’s just more painful, time-consuming, and expensive.
That’s why I started doing business coaching for fashion designers and founded Fashion Brain Academy. For the people out there who do NOT want to re-invent the wheel. I teach best-practices, systems, and proven strategies to start and run a fashion business – with out a lot of “live your dream” rhetoric thrown in.
- Created and designed her own line, the Jane Hamill line, for 14+ years as well as owned her boutique for the same time period (cleverly named Jane Hamill). The Jane Hamill line was represented in 5 showrooms across the country and sold in Marshall Field’s (now Macy’s), Mark Shale, Bloomies by Mail, Saks Folio, and numerous specialty stores across the country
- Media where you’ve seen Jane include: CNN, Fox TV, InStyle, Lucky, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, WWD, Chicago Magazine, McCall’s, National Public Radio
- Designed a line of bridesmaid dresses called Dress Fancy
- Jane also did an essay for NPR’s This I Believe series – also in the book of essays. (The topic? Barbie, of course.) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5419659
- Started Fashion Brain Academy (business coaching and e-learning site) in 2010 to help fashion designers and creative types with the business side of things. Jane works with clients on marketing their business consistently, how to sell your product to stores and direct to consumers, costing and pricing to be profitable, how to get it all done and prioritize, and business planning and direction.
- Director of Design Education for the Chicago Fashion Incubator
- Adjunct Faculty member at Columbia College Chicago in the Fashion Studies Department.
- Enough, enough. You get the idea.
Jane has worked as a designer and retailer and understands what it takes to get a product designed, produced and sold in a competitive market.
Jane Hamill Consulting / Fashion Brain Academy offers seminars, workshops, On-Demand e-learning, Bootcamps, and private consulting for those who want to turn their creative ideas into a viable business.