The IDEA of Owning a Fashion Business vs. the REALITY
If you design a product and own a small business, what’s your REAL job? Sure, we start because we’re good at making and creating something. Then you launch an actual company based around that skill and wait a sec…
Turns out that the IDEA of a business and the REALITY are 2 different things.
Watch the video now for a reality check and some helpful #MondayMotivation…
Every week I get asked about ways to sell more stuff – shortcuts, simple strategies, and the insider info on what’s working now.
I get it. We all want the easy button.
And it’s TRUE that there are shortcuts and simple strategies that can help. It’s also true that selling your product is a big job. It’s not something you can just do “when you get to it”, “after the product is perfect”, or “when you’re ready”.
Many of you don’t want to hear it, but in many ways, selling and marketing your line IS the job. It’s not just about creating products – not even close. And if you really want to JUST design, you can get a job as a designer. If you own a small business, you have to do be willing to do more and do it well. When I had my womenswear line I spent about 15% of my time on the actual collection and the other 85% on other stuff.
If I were to start over again, I’d still spend 15% on the line and I’d bump marketing and selling my line up to about 75% of my time. The other 10% would go to professional development in the form of learning new skills that would make me money — like taking classes to learn how to sell more stuff that would, you guessed it, result in making more money. Then I’d use that money to outsource the tasks I didn’t have time to do.
Because, ya know, all my time is spent on either the product or the sales. That’s it.
In the video, I give you an assignment.
1) If you’re an established brand – when was the last time you emailed your list and kept in touch? DO IT TODAY. Then leave me a comment below and tell me what you did.
2) If you’re a startup – GOYA (get off your arse) and head to the nearest place where your “perfect” customer hangs out. For me, it would be a Starbucks in a fancy part of town. WATCH THE VIDEO for specific instructions of what to do, then leave a comment with what you did!!
As always, thanks for watching and reading,
The IDEA of Owning a Fashion Business vs. the REALITY If you design a product and own a small business, what’s your REAL job? Sure, we start because we’re good at making and creating something. Then you launch an actual company based around that skill and wait a sec… Turns out that the IDEA of a […]